Asking for help if you get hurt at school is part of being a good student

Getting Help at School for Your Bleeding Disorder

You are not on your own
Author: Ian Landau | Illustration by John Haslam

When you’re at home and you get hurt or feel a bleed starting, you know to go to your parents or another grown-up who takes care of you for help. But it’s important to know that if you’re hurt at school, you are definitely not on your own! There are adults there, too, who can help you when you need it.

Your School Team
If your school has a nurse, that’s the No. 1 person you should see if you fall on the playground or get hit by a ball in gym class, or even if you are just worried you might be having a bleed. The school nurse may not know as much about bleeding disorders as the nurses at your hemophilia treatment center (HTC). But she or he will know what to do, or whom to call, so you get the treatment you need. Some kids keep factor at school and can infuse right there with help from the nurse—and then get back to class in a flash!

If your school doesn’t have a nurse or if the nurse isn’t available, there will always be another staff member who can help you. It might be the school secretary in the main office, a counselor or a teacher. Your parents and a nurse from the HTC have probably met with these people so they’re ready to swing into action and support you. Ask your parents which adults you should seek out if you have a problem.

You Have a Role to Play, Too
While there’s a team of adults at school looking out for you and making sure you’re safe, no one knows how you’re feeling better than you do. If you get a knock or accidentally injure yourself, or your ankle, knee, elbow or another body part starts to hurt or feels warm or bubbly inside, speak up and ask to go to the nurse or one of the other adults at school right away.

Don’t feel bad about asking for assistance. Rest assured that everyone at school wants you to feel your best so you can focus on what you’re there to do: Learn, grow and have fun!